Thursday 4 November 2010

My marathon story: The power of encouragers!!!! Dublin City Marathon 2010

25th October 2010 was my 4th time doing the marathon distance. It is amazing how quickly I forgot just how difficult the marathon is. At mile 20 in my first Marathon (2004) I promised myself that I would never do another one but there is something about it that keeps drawing me back. I think that the draw may be that I learn so much about life from each event.

This marathon preparation began when I started jogging regularly again about a year ago. I lost a lot of weight quickly and that encouraged me to keep running because it was easier to run when I was lighter and I could cover more distance without the extra pounds.

My strategy in training (for anyone interested in losing some weight) was to go as slow as possible for as long as distance as possible. Whenever I got tired I just tried to slow down a bit more rather than stopping. I wasn't too worried about heart rate zones or exact times and both distance and time quickly increased. I find that when I run for the fun of it that I love the process. When I constantly run to hit heart rate zones or training schedules then I find that the process loses its appeal. I have to say that changes when I run with a running club. I find it fun to just show up and work to someone else's program. 

In January I started doing a lot of housework. Painting, lifting, raking etc etc. I actually stopped running for almost 2 months but I knew I was still in good shape from all the DIY work. At this point my friend Alan convinced himself and then me to do the Dublin City Marathon as a fundraiser for Generation Text. We decided to give it a go and to try to convince another 38 people to do it. If we got 40 on the team then we would be able to buy a mini-bus for the kids project which we need to get to more kids and to make the project more efficient. 

There is still a fundraising gap of €10,000 approx for the bus so the marathon efforts don't feel like a complete success but the process of convincing other people to join us was really rewarding in itself. 13 of us participated in the Dublin City Marathon for Generation Text. It is a wonderful feeling to know that Alan & I had helped to convince these people to do something so worthwhile and challenging. I think that I will find it easier to ask more people next year because I'll be reminded of what a gift it is to them as well as the obvious gift it is to have fundraisers for the charity.

Six weeks before the marathon I went out for a long run. I tried to jump to increase my distance too much (ego) and ended up damaging my left knee. It didn't feel right to run on it until the week before the marathon. I had to put a set of orthotics (custom made insoles) into my runners which felt like I was jogging in work shoes rather than trainers.

I've made enough silly mistakes in fitness events to know that I was severely underprepared for this marathon. Therefore I focused obsessively on getting the basics right. Controlling the things that were within my control. I made sure I had the little things lined up that can make a big difference: The ideal socks, blister treatment in my pocket, I stayed well hydrated in the few days leading up to the marathon and avoided any new foods. I did nothing on race day that I hadn't done in training. I try to eliminate stress on the day of the event and the day before the event by doing as much advance planning as possible. I try to leave all the marathon clothes lined up and a checklist of everything else beside it so that on the day of the event I never have to go looking for something or to make a big decision. When I lose my cool on the morning of an event then I find it has a disproportionate and negative impact on the event. The event itself reminded me that, like everything in life, the marathon is all about getting the basics right.

The run itself was wonderful. I love watching the diversity of emotion.  The excitement of a thousands of people before the gun goes off. The spectators' mix of admiration and fear as they watch their loved ones set off. The sense of occasion, comradery and nervousness carries you through the first few miles in a trance (which is why it is so easy to run at a much faster pace than your training pace.)

I was reminded at mile six when I saw my beautiful wife waiting for me and encouraging me on, just how vital encouragement is. That was my big lesson of the Dublin Marathon 2010: Encouragement is the difference between walking with my head down and just enduring life and striding along with a smile and knowing that I will finish with a sprint.  Encouragement is one of those rare gifts in life that benefits everyone and that you can't seem to hurt anyone by giving too much of.

It meant the world to me that Cara would give up her time to just encourage me on my run. I knew she was going to be at the 6 mile point and it kept me excited for the first hour. Sharing the moment with her at the end took the wonderful moment and shone a magnifying glass over it. It was my first time to cross the marathon line as a married man. I met friends at approx 9 miles, halfway, just after halfway, 19 miles 21 & 25 miles. Without exception these were turning points in my race. In hindsight each person and point of contact had an effect on my run. Seeing them reminded me to smile or to take in the moment, to slow down, to take a little rest.

The encouragers reminded me that although I've to run life on my own most of the time that there are people who care, people who know there is a finish line for me and they care about my journey as well as the destination. The marathon seems to give us permission to let each other know that we see the struggles in life and that we care. I often thought that the encouragers were finding it as rewarding as the runners did . At mile 23 I was walking and a complete stranger started to shout at me and insist that I could run the rest of the distance. I was so shocked and surprised at her insistence and ferocity that I didn't even question her - I just started running and I ended up running the whole way to the finish line. 

Having had 10 days to process all of this I had an 'aha' moment. It has suddenly dawned on me how the lesson of the encouragers on marathon day is so relevant to the cause we were fundraising for. The purpose of Generation Text is to come alongside children who might be having a difficult time and to encourage them. I've been working in this area for over three years and I sometimes find myself asking 'is this worth it?', 'are we wasting our time here?' because the results are so hard to gauge. It is rare in life that any child will return to us and say ' thanks for that pep talk, smile or clap on the back. I've decided to go to college!'. The kids project is all about investing in the children. It is hard to keep investing in anything when you can rarely see the results. The marathon encouragers reminded me that the results of encouragement are tangible, real and significant but they are only tangible to those of us on the receiving end. They are rarely visible from the outside world that gives them. 

Thanks for the encouragers in my life like you Cara (you may be the only person still reading!) and to everyone else too.

Don't stop believing!!! 

Michael T. Rossney

The Energy Coach Consultancy & Training

Mobile Phone: +353 087 960 88 33

skype: Mike Rossney

If you'd like to sponsor me in running the Dublin City Marathon for Generation Text please click here

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching."
- Satchel Paige

Posted via email from michaelrossney's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment