Report on the last 10 miles of the Challenge126 run from Limerick to Dublin in aid of Special Olympics Ireland
I only heard about Mike Sheridan and Brian Maher’s epic 126 mile running challenge three days before the event on Twitter. These two guys decided to run from Limerick to Dublin in aid of Special Olympics Ireland. I should mention that they also decided to attempt doing the run in one go! No overnight sleeps, no non-essential stop-offs along the way, just a non-stop run from Limerick to Dublin which was going to mean a long, long time spent suffering in the battlefield of the mind!
I absolutely love hearing about these kinds of events because they are close to my heart. They lift my spirits and I think they lift everyone’s spirits a little. People need regular inspiration. We need people who like Mike and Brian, like Gerry Duffy and Ken Lawless of 32 marathons in 32 days fame to remind us to get out of the stagnant waters that we can sometimes wade into in life.
Life is a bit like a river. Sometimes we are right in the middle of the flow; life feels challenging, exciting. At other times we can drift into stagnant, murky water; things get stale and if we stay there long enough things life can lose its excitement. Events like the Challenge126 are like racing a jet-ski down the river of life and giving everyone a splash of inspiration and hope. They remind us that there is a bit more to life, a bit more to us as human beings than we sometimes settle for.
I decided to have a look at the website and keep an eye on the proceedings on Twitter with a view towards jumping in with them for a spin on the bike or a maybe a jog along the route.
Three days later I was cycling under the M50 bridge at about 7pm on a Friday night wondering what kind of shape the two guys would be in. I met a cavalcade of vehicles manned by an exhausted support team, a film crew and some runners who were running alongside the guys to encourage them. The lads themselves looked like they were fairing pretty well but I knew from my experience of a few marathons and long distance triathlons that they were probably putting on a brave face and distract themselves from the pain.
The next three hours or so were a surreal experience. I was inspired by the levels of support the guys received from friends and strangers alike. I struggled with being the supporter rather than one of the runners. I was dumbfounded by the dedication of Special Olympics CEO Matt English who, after hours of running still enthusiastically spoke to runners about the work of Special Olympics Ireland and why the organisation is so important not only at Olympic games level but even more so at as a grass roots organisation.
We eventually made it to Stephens Green where a crowd waited to greet the guys. I think that people couldn't really imagine what they had been through. I got out of there quickly to stay warm but I'm glad my path crossed with these inspirational guys and I'm excited to learn how much they raised for Special Olympics Ireland. If you feel like making a contribution to the cause then you can do so here. I hope they inspire you to do something that will surpass your own expectations!
No comments:
Post a Comment