Tuesday 12 June 2012

3 Weight Loss & Marathon Apps I use daily before breakfast on iPhone

There are three great iPhone apps which I’ve found excellent to help keep my clients (and myself) accountable, conscious and motivated around weight loss. I check my heart rate first thing in the morning (before getting out of bed is the optimal time to check), weight loss app before I eat anything and I check Mapmyfitness before breakfast so that I can plan my breakfast around my training that day. 

Img_0873

1. Mapmyfitness 

One is Mapmyfitness which is also known as Mapmyrun, Mapmyride, Mapmywalk etc. You only need to download one of these apps and the basic versions are free as far as I know. On the laptop version of Mapmyfitness you can view your statistics in more detail which I find very useful. (See image below) 

 

The app works in your pocket as you exercise and tracks you using GPS. There are some cool features like playlists and the ability to save photos to workouts which I rarely use to be honest! 

Img_0872

  • Target Weight by Tactio

Target weight is a very simple app which helps you to visually monitor your weight on charts etc. You update it every time you weigh in (I do so daily). A little red button shows up on the corner of the app on your home screen which tells you how many pounds or kilograms you still have to lose. 

 

This app is a little reminder to do the right thing - every time you use your iPhone. I love tracking my progress over the last week, 2 weeks, six months etc which is rewarding emotionally when you are working hard. (Screenshot below)

Img_0871

  • Instant Heart Rate by Azumio

I love this app for its ingenuity but most ingenious apps are useless - this one is fantastic. Your resting heart rate is the simplest way to monitor the strength of your heart (cardio-vascular fitness test). It uses the iPhone’s camera and light to take your pulse and it saves the result so that you can see your resting heart reduce as your fitness improves. On a very practical note, if my heart rate is elevated (like in the photo below) then I know that I’m tired or need to recovery time. If it is nice and low then I know I can do a good strong training session that day. 

 

Do you have any favourite marathon and/or weight loss apps? I’d love to hear from you if you do. 

Posted via email from michaelrossney's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment